Thursday, January 28, 2010

Q-pon Mom

"Q pons?" you might ask? Evan makes fun of me because I pronounce coupon with a q sound. I have always said it like that so it sounds right to me! Evan would probably chalk it up to growing up in Pitt County but that's another story. I have decided to start couponing in a more serious manner. And by that, I mean using more than one or two at a time because lets be real now, 75 cents off a 100 dollar grocery purchase doesn't scream savings to me. I don't really know the true art of couponing yet and I don't think I could ever get to the point of getting everything for free(true story, some people can do this). I am still learning things like double coupons doesn't mean you need two copies of the coupon. Haha...yikes. I would have been in trouble when triple coupons came around! (Thank you Honey for getting me two copies of the the Sunday paper but not asking why even though you probably knew I didn't the other copy :) )My friend was trying to explain the basics to me the other day and I think I got what I need to at least start somewhere. Now that I've figured out when the coupons are in the paper(first step, collect coupons), I can start organizing which ones I need and planning some meals around them. I did a trial run the other day and saved 30 dollars at Harris Teeter. Not too shabby for my first go at it. I found a good website where the lady lists the coupon schedule and pretty much everything on special at the HT, which coupon to use and how much it will be after the coupon. Yay, less thinking for me to do! I also figured this would be a good way to save money on diapers(we are still truckin with all the diapers from my baby shower...I'm interested to see how long I can go without buying any!) and wipes(we go through A LOT of wipes), since both are expensive but always needed. Now that we have a printer at home, I can start printing coupons from the web too. Okay, now lets see how this couponing thing goes. Hopefully it all doesn't fizzle to the back of my mind and disappear once I go back to work...

6 comments:

Chantry said...

i too am learning the power of coupons. warning though - my problem seems to be that i like to over-use the coupons...buying things i dont really need but i have a coupon for and buying multiple items that i have coupons for (ex. i bought 6 dawn dish detergents last week bc i had coupons for them!) so although i saved $96.00 at the store, by bill was $200! so q-pon away, but be warned!!! =)

Hubby said...

umm hmm...what she said.

Heidi said...

Thanks for the heads up, Chan! I definitely try to only clip the coupons of things we usually have on our list, but yes it is tempting when you have a good coupon for something you dont normally get! I will be careful :)

Catherine said...

Chalk it up to Pitt County. I don't think they taught us that at preschool, but I pronounce them "q-pons." What drives me nuts about them is that so much stuff we use is never a coupon...like produce and the stuff that's "good for you."

ps. Your website looks awesome!

David & Amy Bunge said...

Is the website couponmom.com? My problem is not ever finding coupons for the things we use (produce, organic/natural cleaning products, etc). Do you get emails from your local grocery stores (harris teeter and lowes do it) letting you know the deals for the week? That's a great way to plan your meals based on the main dishes on sale (poultry, fish, meat) and what you already have in your pantry. I don't know the name of it, but there is a website where you can enter ingredients you already have and it will tell you a dish you can make :).

Heidi said...

oh that sounds like a good website, you will have to send me that one. the website i mentioned is the last one on my friend/favorites list on the left side of my blog. i agree, i wish there were more coupons for produce and the more natural products!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails