Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Christmas Eve

I don't think anything can compare to the food on a Norwegian Christmas Eve.....Evan's family is Norwegian so they do a traditional dinner with all the yummy foods. I finally learned how to pronounce them all! Talk about being stuffed! For starters, each person has a bowl of rice pudding and whoever finds the shaved almond in their pudding, receives a prize(Mike got it this year).
The next course(not really a course, haha), is a shot of Norwegian liquor to cleanse the pallet and to say skal(cheers) to family and celebrating together, which is always fun with his family! I did not take the shot because it is really strong and I did not want to choke on it and ruin my dinner, haha. I took a tiny sip.
The main dinner consists of Medisterkake(meat loaves with pork and beef combined....probably the best thing of the whole night),pork roast, Sur Kaal(cooked cabbage), mashed potatoes, peas, butter horn rolls, lingonberries, Lefse(rolled potato "pancake" with cinnamon and sugar inside), peppernuts(cookies with pepper, very yummy and Evan usually eats about 25, but they are the size of an acorn).....and of course, we had some pie and cookies for dessert. Whew!
We opened presents that night and did stockings in the morning. The breakfast was fruit, Julekake(special bread with raisins) with goat cheese on top. Good thing I like to eat :)

My sister in law and I in front of the tree....

Our husbands are a little excited about being santa's helpers

4 comments:

David & Amy Bunge said...

Looks like a fun celebration. Whose weimeraner is that? I hope it's calmer than the one our friends have.

Heidi said...

That is my mother in law's dog, he is pretty calm unless he hears a noise or sees someone/dog outside :)

Unknown said...

Hi, Kids!
Heidi,your description of our Norwegian Christmas Eve was very accurate! Soon, you'll be cooking all those dishes yourself. ;-) Remember...Evan is five-eighths Norwegian and related to a Swedish King so you gotta keep up the traditions.
Thanks for a wonderful Christmas!
Your new "mom", Linda

Heidi said...

Thats right, I do!!! And I have a great Norwegian cook to learn from...who did a wonderful job on Christmas Eve dinner :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails